Transferring from IECC

(Consumer Information Disclosure)

Students who plan to obtain a bachelor’s degree can benefit greatly by beginning their education at IECC and transferring on to their university of choice.  IECC offers numerous general education courses that aid in transfer, however, students are encouraged to enroll in one of the transfer degrees to ensure a smooth transition to the receiving institution. Click here to explore various university majors to determine the IECC college(s) that offer an applicable transfer program.    

Transfer is made easier by IECC’s participation in the Illinois Articulation Initiative (IAI), a statewide agreement that allows for the transfer of a core curriculum (referred to as the General Education Core Curriculum or GECC) that is transferable among more than 100 participating colleges and universities in Illinois.  IAI works best for students who know they are going to transfer, but undecided on the college or university that will grant their baccalaureate degree.  The agreement became effective for those who entered participating institutions as first-time students in the summer of 1998 (and thereafter).

The General Education Core Curriculum is the starting point for students pursuing an associate transfer degree or a bachelor's degree. These students must take a set of core courses considered an essential foundation for a well-rounded education.  This core consists of 12 to 13 courses, or 37 to 41 credits that participating colleges and universities have agreed to accept as a package in lieu of their own comparable lower-division general education requirements.  IECC students who successfully complete this “package” (with or without the completion of an associate transfer degree) will receive the GECC Credential, via a notation on their transcript, signifying this accomplishment.  Additional data regarding the credential, requirements, and a list of IAI approved core courses at IECC are available here.  Contact an academic advisor with any questions and visit for more information. 

Associate in Arts  This 2-year transfer degree provides students with a foundational education in liberal arts.  The curriculum for the A.A. contains the complete general education package, earning students the GECC credential and signifying that all of the required gen. ed. courses have been completed.   

Associate in Science  This 2-year transfer degree is intended for students interested in pursuing a bachelor’s degree in the areas of science or mathematics.  The curriculum for the A.S. contains a majority of the general education package, but is short 3 credits each in the areas of humanities/fine arts and social & behavioral sciences due to the increase by 3 credits each in the areas of mathematics and physical & life science.  This is by design to ensure the community college student remains on track with those students at the 4-year university.  The student may choose to pick up the extra 6 credits at IECC and complete the GECC package/credential or finish up the gen. ed. courses at the receiving institution.  

Associate in Science and Arts  This 2-year transfer degree is ideal for students who are undecided between the arts or science degree.  Like the A.A., the curriculum for the A.S.A. contains the complete general education package.    

Associate in General Studies  This 2-year transfer degree is designed for students who wish to explore their individual interests within an academic structure. Acceptance of credit for the A.G.S. is at the discretion of the receiving institution and this curriculum does not include the GECC package.

IECC has several program Articulation Agreements with other institutions to better serve our students. These partnerships with various universities document a pathway to ensure a smooth transfer, to minimize duplication of instruction, and to build on learning experiences.

See Course Transfer Guides to determine how IECC course credits will transfer to various universities.   

As a transfer student, it’s very important to get advice from your IECC college advisor and, if you have chosen a college to complete your baccalaureate degree, maintain contact with the receiving institution. It is the student’s responsibility to work closely with an advisor so that electives are appropriate, transferable, and applicable to the student’s major at the transfer college or university. 



Franklin University Partnership